MANicure - When your man does your nails

So this really fun challenge has gone around in Finnish nail polish blogs for a while now and I finally decided that I - or technically my boyfriend - should also participate. I'm a little late with this as everyone else has done it a while ago, but better later than never, right? So the main idea of this challenge is to get your boyfriend/husband or brother or father or any man in your life to do your nails. The challenge was originally created by Liisa and you can find her original post here. However, the rules were in Finnish, so I took the liberty to loosely translate them to English, so here are the rules:

1. Only the man can touch the nail polish bottles
2. You can't give any advices
3. You can choose the desing and style freely
4. Take pictures of the finished manicure, and it's also good to take pictures during the process
5. You can remove the polish right away after taking the pictures if you feel like it
6. Man, who doesn't accept the challenge is a lame-ass wussy (:D)
7. And finally, remember to laugh!

It didn't take too much to get my boyfriend to accept the challenge, I guess he didn't want to be a lame-ass wussy. But after he agreed to do it, it took quite a while to get to the actual painting of my nails. First he chose the nail polishes and wanted to draw a plan:

The plan is quite cute, right?! He said he wanted blue and white polish that had shimmer, so after a long search of my helmer he found China Glaze Frosty and Color Club Cold Metal. Frosty was quite obvious choice, because it's probably the only shimmer white that I have, so he didn't have lot to choose from. He also remembered that I had said that Cold Metal is really good, so that's why he decided to use that. Then he also chose China Glaze Fast Forward, which I was a bit worried about, because there isn't much left of it, so it has become a bit thick.. But the rules were that you can't give any advices, so I didn't say anything.

After choosing the colors, he wanted to practice and I provided him with one of my nail wheels. The practicing took a little while as he also used the computer and searched my blog and several others to see how he should do the mani. From the blogs he picked up the idea to use schotch tape.

So here are the practice nails. He used China Glaze Fast Forward to the nail on the left (and also managed to smudge it with his finger) and noticed that it was quite thick, so at this point I kindly directed him towards another top coat. I know, it was againts the rules, but I didn't want his hard work to get ruined because of a top coat that doesn't work properly. So he ended up using Essie Good to Go to the other practice nail and it worked better. As you can see, he also practiced the use of the scotch tape with the nail on the right, which was kind of cute too.. :) 

So after all the reasearch and practice, it was finally time to start painting my nails. At this point I had to again say something, as he was going to start without a base coat, and well, I didn't want my nails to get more stained than they already are, so I asked if something was maybe missing. After a while of thinking he figured out that he should probably use somekind of base coat and he went to search my helmer again and found Nail Tek Foundation II. So he first painted one coat of that, then waited a while and then started to paint with Cold Metal. 
 
I thought the brush technique was really good and he managed to get the polish on really nicely, although there was also some polish on the cuticles and on the side of the nails too. But overall, I tought he did very good! If you look at the pinky, there isn't practically any polish on the sides of the nails, so very good for a person that hadn't ever painted nails, right?! He used one coat of Cold Metal and I think it was three coats of Frosty. As you can probably see, he also figured out that it is only necessary to paint the middle of the nail with Frosty, as that is the part that is going to show in the finished mani.

So after he had painted all my nails and also applied the quick dryer, it was time to cut the stripes of the scotch tape. This took quite a while and I think he cut at least ten stripes to get the ones that he was totally happy with. But very thorough working I'd say!

After a while he decided that my nails were dry enough, so he placed the tape stripes to the middle of my middle and ring finger nails one at a time and painted the sides of the nails with Cold Metal. I was a bit worried that the tape would pick up some of the polish underneath as I tought it probably hadn't had enough time to dry. Gladly, this happened only a bit, so the manicure wasn't ruined and the hard work didn't go to waste.
  
So after he had done both hands with the polish and with the quick dryer, he thought he sould probably clean my fingers a bit as he said that he knows I always do that. So we went to the bathroom and first he used some cotton sticks to clean up the majority of the polish. 

After the cotton sticks he noticed the brush that I always use for cleaning up the polish and so he thought he should use that one too. He really did a quite good job with the cleaning up, though it took quite a lot of time too.
 
So of course after that the manicure was ready. He said that the inspiration of this manicure are racing stripes of racecars, if you were wondering.. ;)

So, what do you think? Did he do a good job or not? :)

Like I said in the beginning of this post, many Finnish nails polish bloggers like Sonne, Katjamaria, Emma and Päivi have already done the challenge (these blogs are all in Finnish, but you should really check out the manicure that Päivi's man did, it's awesome!). However, I'd like to challenge some non-Finnish bloggers to this challenge too, so I challenge:

ritterbraten of Das Experiment
maRyya of Konad Addict

Also I of course challenge every one else too that want's to do this challenge! If you do it, please leave a link to the comment section, because I really want to see your MANicures! This was really so much fun, so I recommend this to all! :)

0 comments: